The List

We sat on the comfy, turquoise blanket, on the shore. Children could be seen building sand castles as high as their vision followed, a group of young friends shouting at the joy of a vacation on a short notice, a happy family beaming towards the camera to catch the moment. You smiled and said, "You know, I have a bucket list. I hope to be so successful that I don't have to think twice before purchasing something, my name will be remembered; travelling regularly through business class, having the finest strains of cannabis, a lifetime of recognition. Ah, so much to do! Don't you have a list?" He looked at me, as he smoked; the trail of smoke vanishing almost instantly. I noticed a small shell right beside me. I looked at it, and the thought of thousands of shells lying around the wide beach came to my mind. As I played with the shell, I quietly replied, " Everyone has a list. Some want to inherit a fortune that will last forever, some want the clothes and shoes from the best labels, some even want to party everyday with the rock-stars! And I.." I looked at him. He was still smoking, brushing the sand from his shoulder. I didn't know whether you were listening, or whether you will understand as I said the following words.." I just want to be with you...as the sun rises, with all meals eaten together, every happy and sad news shared, dancing till our heads get heavy while the whiskey glistens, discovering music together, you taking my pictures slyly, our bodies intertwined beneath the sheets as I hear your heartbeat. Doesn't matter if we do much, as much as it involves us." With full of hope in my eyes I looked at you. You were already busy lighting another one. As you put the lighter in your pocket, you put a hand around my waist, pulled me closer and asked "where you saying anything?" A single tear escaped which failed to grasp your attention as I slowly nodded "Yes, can I have one smoke?" And the waves kept crashing, one after another.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts