The Truth

My friend and I were walking down the street on a cold Sunday night. As she was frantically explaining about the importance of meditation for handling stress, my eyes suddenly caught a nearby figure. I cant be mistaken. The height, the walking pace and hair...it must be him. All the sounds around me slowly paused and I could feel the cold wind prickling my skin, making the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. I do not know what to say to him if our eyes met. I am rehearsing vague greetings in my head when he suddenly turned. My heart sank ; though there was much similarity between the the figure and him, it wasn't what I was expecting. Yet again this happened. How many more times should I endure this? Every time I walk around some place, I imagine someone calling your name or I see you standing on the other side of the pavement, grinning at me. A sudden, light blow to my head made me realize that my one foot is in a puddle of muddy water while my friend is furiously looking at me. "You could have just told me to shut up...wait, why are you trembling?" Her tone has now turned from anger to concern. I noticed how my knees were shaking and I felt that I had no energy to walk even one more step. " Not again, not now... " that's all I could mutter. My friend knew what to do. After some time I could finally feel the heat seeping through the pores of my skin as I sipped the tea. She asked me kindly what was bothering me. "I always feel that he is around me, that I will bump into him and whatever happened between us will just be dusted away into one corner. As if my soul is searching for him. When will my wandering stop?" and my eyes looked down to the floor.

My friend is silent. I can see her thinking hard as the little vein in her head is visible. After much consideration she says, "I think its time for you to face the truth. He is never coming back." That's all she spoke firmly. It is a simple and clear truth that everyone had accepted, even him perhaps, but not me. But I guess, somebody needed to utter those words and I needed to hear them, sometimes, for a reality check..in simpler terms.

There is a little voice inside me which says to let go. But you see, he is always with me. He is in air I breath, the walks that I take, the,rainy nights, the misty, humid afternoons and the cold nights when I wrap myself with my blanket.

People say that if we desire something very strongly, one gets it. But sadly as we grow up, we know that its not entirely possible. My feelings cannot be understood by others. It even overwhelms me. Like standing on the tip of a volcanic eruption or on the top of a snow-clad mountain with the clouds touching my feet.

I had a stare which seemed like it stretched to infinity. Unfortunately, no harsh truth is going to change my heart in the end. I laughed and said, "He certainly has left a mark on me."

Comments

Popular Posts