The First Time

It was just another Friday afternoon. I was on my way to purchase some groceries. The main street was filled with people, most of them were shopping for the weekend, some were buying different cones of ice-cream from the vendor, while others were happily talking away. I usually briskly walk to avoid attention of anyone, someone to be not bothered by any cost. I put this irritated expression and seem like someone who is busy scrutinizing every action. But honestly, its all just an act to reach my destination faster. I was walking by a sweets shop when I abruptly stopped walking. I stopped and stared. The world kept on moving on both sides of mine. But I was super-glued to one spot. I took off my glasses, cleaned them thoroughly before putting them on again. Yes, it was just a mirage. The thunder growled and my eyes looked at the darkened sky. It was going to rain soon. The spot in-front of the sweets shop, the place where my family also comes, and, also the weather, rekindled one distant but bright memory. Our first meeting.

You made me wait that day. And remember, I usually hate waiting, especially if I am meeting someone new. I was about to call you for the second time when I saw you walking up to me. You stayed a bit far away and motioned me with your eyes to follow you. How rude was my first thought. First you make me wait and then without even greeting me you ask me to follow you? Angrily shaking my head I catch up with you. "Its going to rain" you murmured and I could then feel small drops of water falling on me. We had just one umbrella. And then it began. Torrential rain! Your hand held me close to your body so that we could fit in one umbrella. It was red in colour. And magically it seemed that there was enough room! We were stuck in the unfinished subway for a very long time. You asked me to stay close to you as the people who were also seeking shelter seemed shady to you. After what seemed like ages, we finally walked, with the rain now turning into just heavy wind. I entered your house, soaked from head to toe. You asked me to change into your clothes and even though the list of "do and don'ts with an acquaintance" ran wildly in my head, i seeked warm, fresh clothes. Later, as I calculatively chose a place in your room, I started properly observing you, which probably ran from being creepy to being indifferent. I noticed your love for your hair, your toned body hugging your shirt, the little scar on your forehead, the smile that touched those brown eyes glistening with excitement as you spoke about your recent triumphs, your small but assertive nose and the tattoos governing your body, each with a tale. I was mesmerized by every small detail. You spoke that day greatly. I was just drawn by the words, your dry humor and short, repeatative words.

It was soon time for me to part. You like a fine gentleman in first meeting guided me home. You walked by my side and as I noticed you brushing your hair with your hand, I wondered how secure I would feel if those hands held me. And I wasn't wrong. But that's another memory. You wished me goodbye and my heart became heavy when I saw you disappearing. We fell asleep that night after confessing to each other the single desire we both held, to meet again.

With a flash I got transported back to the present. I could feel some eyes burning me. It was raining and I was still star-fixed, to the spot where I first met you. I think some people started thinking that I was a bit peculiar. I slowly composed myself, tied my hair into a bun and restarted my journey. How strange it is that sometimes one single image or sound or word can remind you of the most bitter-sweet memories that sometimes pop out and make you relieve the entire moment! That meeting is mine. Time cannot take the traces away. How can I forget your smell which I carried home that day? How can I forget myself flustering when I noticed you looking at me with curiosity? Little did I know that this one meeting would pave the way for more countless visits, to the start of an intense, burning relationship? It says things are written "Maktub"- I don't believe in destiny. But, little did we know what would be stored for both of us in the future.

I believe I started loving you from that day only.You may think I am foolish and am being naive, but that's the thing about love is right? Somehow you felt familiar and comfortable. I felt more alive in your presence than in my own place. You started being my home slowly. A home which stays strong with love irrespective of the passage of time and decay.

To my home, where ever you go, know this, you have a part of me in you and I have a part of you in me. You are safe, in my heart and I will carry you always. And, remember, every time it rains, I still remember us, walking closely under that red umbrella, two souls
wading through all the black umbrellas.

Comments

  1. Your narrations transfer me to the scene as a bystander , and like an observer I can see the whole narrative unfolding words by words before me. Good one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts